MAS Tarbiya Department is responsible for developing MAS members, giving them the tools and knowledge to develop and help others around them grow, and empowering them with the necessary skills to fulfill the MAS mission and vision.
The word “Tarbiya” is an Arabic word that linguistically means increase, growth, and refinement. Tarbiya means the development and the training of people in various aspects. The word is commonly used to describe the upbringing of children as the parents provide them with physical, educational, moral and spiritual needs to help them grow and become useful members of society.
Tarbiya is the cornerstone of a comprehensive reform methodology practiced by MAS which traces its origin to the Qur’an and to the teachings of Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, as he invested a great deal of effort in Tarbiya for his companions. As a result of his efforts, he left not only a great message, the message of Islam, but he also left a great generation that carried the message and moved humanity from darkness to light.
The MAS Tarbiya Program
MAS’s vision is that individual bring about real change in a society and therefore moving them towards the goal of constant self-development and the development of those around them is absolutely essential. Tarbiya is a life-long process for change; this change starts with every individual and extends to the whole society. We aspire to raise a generation of committed and disciplined American Muslims who are living example of the message of Islam.
The MAS Tarbiya Program offers a comprehensive and moderate understanding of Islam and a continuous and comprehensive process for the development of the Muslim personality based on five essential qualities as described below:
- Islamically-oriented (Devout Muslim): Individuals who understand the goal of their existence, aim to please Allah, seek His guidance, live the comprehensive meaning of worship, and embody the qualities of sincere, dedicated Muslims.
- Agent of Change (Action-Orientation): Self-motivated individuals who put their beliefs and thoughts into actions; proactively seek ways to improve themselves and impact others around them.
- Bearers of the message: Individuals devoted to Islam’s mission through the deep understanding of its highest ideals, objectives, and intents (Arabic: Al-maqaasid), and committed to being part of an organized, disciplined grass-root movement.
- Exemplary Citizen: Individuals who love their country, strive to uphold its best ideals, values, and principles (freedom, justice, equality, rule of law, and individual rights as enshrined in the constitution), and are dedicated to serve fellow citizens and seek the country’s betterment.
- Life-long Learner: Individuals who have a strong passion for knowledge and learning; their thoughts, beliefs, behavior, and actions are based on a continuous pursuit of knowledge. In particular, individuals who have strong literacy in core Islamic sciences and pursue knowledge in all aspects of life (self-development, raising a family, civic engagement, non-profit management, individual profession etc.)